This project is read-only.

Deployment models

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 7, 2009 at 7:06 PM
I am investigating integrating N2 into our existing site.  Our current site architecture separates the admin environment (behind the firewall) from the public-facing web environment and uses a SQL Server replication and file copy process to move data and files (images, code) from the admin to the front-end servers. 

My question - is it possible to configure N2 for this type of system architecture so that all editing capabilities are restricted to the admin server and only files necessary to view the site are available on the front-end server?
Apr 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM
I think so.

Firstly you would have to remove the /edit folder from the front end servers.
Then you would need the replication and file copy you mentioned
Finally you would need to invalidate the cache when changes occur. A simple sql server cache dependency could do the trick here.
Apr 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.  I think I am missing something very simple.

I have set up a two-site prototype solution pointing at the same database with the /edit folder existing on the admin site and the /edit folder deleted from the front-end site. This seems to work except that changes being made on the admin site are only partially being reflected on the front-end site.  I've restarted IIS to flush the cache but that has not helped.  There are no code difference between front-end and admin, I've done a diff between the front-end and admin to verify this.  The changes are all in the database.

I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Apr 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM
Can you expand on the "partially reflected" part?
Apr 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2009 at 10:39 PM
Yes.  I used the C# example project, which comes with a start page already setup.  Changes made to this page are reflected on the front-end site.  New pages created using the admin site Edit interface do not show up on the front-end site.

By the way, this is running on a local dev box under XP with IIS 5.1.

I see now that the new pages are visible on the front-end site, but only when using the default.aspx?page=x querystring value. Is this related to URL rewriting on IIS5.1?
Apr 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Sounds strange. Try to disqualify some kind of caching could you by disabling it.

<n2 xmlns="http://n2cms.com/schemas/configuration/v4">
    <host><web><urls enableCaching="false"/></web></host>
    <database ... caching="false" />

By the way. I'd like to plug this configuration schema I just added. To use it start editing web.config, and choose xml > schemas... > add... from the menus.