This project is read-only.

Adding content personalisation feature

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM
Hello people, could anyone please help me to evaluate the feasibility of the following concept:

I'd like to introduce an ability to store arbitrary properties of a given ContentItem type on a per-user basis. Imagine that you could decorate a property with a hypothetical [Personalizable] attribute and get it's value depending on who the currently signed user is. Or decorate a whole ContentItem with this attribute and get a user's unique item instance in a parent Children collection. What could be the possible storage model for this behavior? One that comes to mind is a similar to current N2's localization approach, that is: to keep a dedicated item hierarchy for a given user. One nice aspect of this approach is that in N2 terms every user would get his/her own personal "homepage".. Other one would be a somewhat obscure "ASP.Net Web Parts" thing with it's personalization provider, manager, and so on -- a completely alien beast to me..
Mar 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM
How much and what kind of content is localizable in this case, and how many users? I'm curious about the use case.
Mar 31, 2009 at 7:02 AM
The use case would be any part that require per-user customization. For instance, at "bookmark" widget with a selection of items of a given type. Sure, it can be done by hand now, but what if this could be outsourced to the framework declaratively?
Mar 31, 2009 at 7:07 PM
I can't say I have any good ideas up my sleeves. Just that personalization is a nasty performance killer =) I'd probably try to figure out a solution specialized to the scenario at hand.
Mar 31, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Good to be warned, thank you :=)
Anyway, Cristian, could you please suggest any good reading on this subject (web portals architecture vs performance), maybe something EpiServ.-related? (I only can remember Dropthings example -- a far PageFlakes' relative)