Does N2 CMS need help in development?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 30, 2009 at 6:55 AM
Hello,

How is possible to contact project (N2 CMS) developer - libardo ?
Basically i whould like to ask does project need help in development ? I mean does N2 CMS need more developers or this is solo developer project ?
Please contact me in this case.

Thanks
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM
Hi, if you want to get involved in the development I suggest you use the system and find things to improve based on the pains you experience. If you come up with a nifty feature, create it and share it. If you find a bug, fix it. I'll try to help if I can. Good luck!
Feb 1, 2009 at 9:51 AM
2paxer.
Hi. I have some ideas how to improve the CMS. If you would like to help maybe we can team up. Send me a mail please if you are interested - max.arshinov at gmail.com
Jan 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM
Hi, I'd also like to get involved and provide some additional resource if needed. Other than installing and using it I'm not really sure what features need working on most and I wouldn't want to start on a feature somebody else is halfway through. If anybody can advise that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Why don't you check the branch network and see what people are sharing.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Indeed it's so much easier to help now with GitHub! Fork and code whatever feature you dream about or bug fix for things needing fixing.

I didn't quite know how it worked but now I've been through the process a few times and I can vouch on how easy it is.

1. Fork the current n2cms, probably create a branch and start working on your features. As libardo pointed out, you can always check the branch network (or branch members) if you suspect someone might be working on the same thing as you.

2. When finished coding (and testing :)) you commit and push changes to your fork on GitHub.

3. If it's some code useful only to you, your job is done. If it's something good for everyone, you do a "pull request" and libardo merges it to the main branch if he thinks the patch makes sense for many people (and I guess he probably fixes the "imperfections" that people like me are bound to make in their code since I don't understand the whole N2 system nearly as well as HE does (I wish I would!))

4. Once my patch has been integrated, I can happily delete it locally and work on more patches and features :)

So as you see, "everybody" can be involved with improving N2, no special "status" is required. As soon as you fork and code something, I guess you can brag of being a contributor! But programming "nirvana" is actually achieved when your first "pull request" gets merged back into N2, LOL. I know I celebrated that one with a nice beer :)

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Great explanation! Let me know when you pass by so I can get you another one.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM
That's really helpful thanks!
Jan 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

It would be really handy if there was a centralised feature / product backlog somewhere that people who want to contribute can work from - that way at least we can all "pull in the same direction".

/Howard

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

How about taking a look at the issue tracker?

http://n2cms.codeplex.com/workitem/list/advanced

Apart from picking up bugs that need fixing, it would be a good place to start placing feature requests so that people can vote on them and help prioritize development.

Pete

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM

@petebd- Actually the feature requests are already there, so we just need to keep them coming (and coded, lol)

@libardo- I do have plans for going back... I'm currently thinking about riding across sweden on my folding touring bike. A long ride, so the beer will be more than welcomed if I do that, LOL. I'll let you know for sure :) In the mean time, it's coding time!

Jacques