Forgotten password

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM
Hi

Is there an easy way doing "forgotten password". This function should be within N2 security.

Also has anyone extended the user part to include more fields?
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2008 at 7:47 PM
The included membership provider doesn't hash the passwords so you could retrieve the passwords and send out to the user's email.

The users are stored as content items. If you get hold of one you can store data using user["MyCustomField"] = "some data". You could look at the profile provider, it's basically what it does.
Aug 17, 2009 at 8:37 AM

i'd like to hook into this discussion...

"The included membership provider doesn't hash the passwords"

is there an easy way to get him hashing?

greetings,

schwebbe

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM

It would require some coding I'm afraid.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM

hm... tell me whether i'm wrong, but i think it would be possible to change the ContentMembershipProvider... i read about this in the n2 docs, but there are no further information on how to do this.

as im new to n2 AND ASP.NET, i don't really now HOW to do this, and i can't find some kind of walktrough i'm afraid... does anyone now how to handle this? seems the n2 ContentMembershipProvider doesn't support encrypted or hashed passwords?

greetings,

schwebbe

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:42 AM

How 'bout here: http://www.devx.com/asp/Article/29256

It's standard for .NET, so you can implement it in N2

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:32 AM

thank you martijn for your comment, but that isn't exactly what i'm searching for. i'm searching for a way to combine the n2 loginbox (from the templates example) with the standard asp.net MembershipProvider and RoleProvider etc.

i tried some code fragments i found in the www, but nothing worked, so i'm searching for a n2 SPECIFIC guide or something like that, as is don't want to code my own login-form. i want to use the neat box provided by n2, as i like it very much :-)

if there isn't anything like that or noone just knows if, well, i will try to do the best on my own, but i think i will have to study more ASP.NET and C# to get things working all by myself...

greetings,

schwebbe

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:14 AM

The login form is seperated from the Membership provider. I pointed you in that direction if you want to incorporate hashed passwords (the only solution at this time is to create a custom Membership Provider).

If you want to use the same login just set it in the web.config...

<authentication mode="Forms">
      <forms loginUrl="login.aspx" name="tambien" protection="All" timeout="60" path="/">

<authentication mode="Forms">

<forms loginUrl="login.aspx" name="test" protection="All" timeout="60" path="/">

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

ok... i might have misunderstood this... ok i'll try! i hope i get it working, next i'll try to get an "edit profile"-thing working...

i'm crawling through the code all day... i think i'll get it, once... ;-)

greetings,

schwebbe