Can a class used in a site be changed? Page type/Class versions?

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 25, 2008 at 10:49 AM
I'm wondering what happens with the persisted classes if I update the classes on a running site.
There are some different scenarios.
Reading a page where the page class has a property removed.
Reading a page where the page class has a property added.
Saving a page where the page class has a property removed.
Saving a page where the page class has a property added.

I hope it just skips the removed properties and that null or empty values is read for the added properties. But what happens in reality and how does it work? :)
Nov 25, 2008 at 11:29 AM
> I hope it just skips the removed properties

IIRC, removed/renamed properties cause errors. I think it would be nice if there were a diagnostic page which allowed administrators to review and remove orphaned entries.
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:04 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:05 PM
James, removed/properties would result in null  beeing returned from the property and an orphaned detail. How does it cause errors?
Nov 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM
> removed/properties would result in null  beeing returned

Perhaps it is just renamed properties then. We had some trouble with this last week during final review when we instituted some naming conventions, however I don't recall the full details.
Nov 26, 2008 at 3:12 PM
Changing property type might well cause an exception, but with only changing name it is rather unlikely -- they're just getting orphaned, as already stated.