How does search work?

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 24, 2008 at 9:44 PM
Hi!

N2 looks interesting, but it seems the current release and the documentation is out of sync? Also, I can't get the source release working right.
The N2_TemplatesSite seems to work, so I have to work from there.

I'm wondering about the search feature. How do I define what's indexed, and how do I control the rendering of the results?
As of now it seems I only get hits on the page names in the TemplatesSite and only the page names is shown.
I can't find any documentation regarding searching.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:34 PM
> it seems the current release and the documentation is out of sync?

Unfortunately N2 documentation is very poor. I have made some small contributions to the Wiki and encouraged my developers to do so also as they learn the system; however I have only had limited success in motivating them in this work :-).

I hope you and others will also be able to make contributions, even small ones, and that eventually we will have documentation as excellent as N2 its self.

-James
Nov 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM
I have already registered at the wiki and I'm intending of documenting the answers I get here as a start. :)
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Hi, I appreciate that you point out (or even better, update) outdated documentation.
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:58 PM
The search included with N2 templates performs a database search against all text in the site. You could take a look at code and follow what's going on using the debugger.
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:09 AM
I have found it, but I couldn't get the source running unfortunately. I see that you have also answered that question so I will try that. Thanks!

If I want to use full text-search with sql server (we're only doing sql server, and preferably 100% stored procs), I do need to replace the search code right?
In an ideal world, there would be a view in the admin gui where searched properties for each page type is chosen, or maybe it could be defined using an attribute in code. [Searchable] or something like that.

From what I understand, properties named Title, Name and Detail is searched when DatabaseSearch is used. I cant however see any reference to it in the code. But it must be used right? It's the only concrete implementation of ICollection<ContentItem> Search(string query) as far as I can see.