Workflow Suggestion

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 15, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Hi,

For a future N2 release, I would like to suggest the  publication process be re-written using Windows Workflow Foundation. The default Workflow would mimic the current one:
      Create
|
|
|---->Edit<----|
| | |
| | |
|--------------|
| |
>Preview >Publish
(I have omitted delete to keep this post simple)

The edit portion of the workflow would optionally call a user-defined workflow that is specific to the site and/or type of content. This would allow an arbitrary number of  required actions between the "Editing" and "Published" statuses. To illustrate, the workflow would look like this:
      Create
|
|
|---->Edit<----|<--------|
| | | |
| | | |
|--------------| |
| | |
>Preview >(Optional Workflow)
|
|
>Publish
In the /Edit interface of N2, the "Save and Publish" button would be replaced dynamically with buttons to execute currently available actions. Different workflows could be assigned based on the type of content (e.g. one workflow for "news" content and another for "events" content).

I welcome all feedback and discussion of this suggestion.

Additionally, I would like to know: What is the best way to encourage the inclusion of workflow features in a future N2 release? Unfortunately I am not prepared to develop this feature myself - suggestions are welcome.

Thank you -

-James
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM
Hi, nice idea. I'd be happy to help with any hooks needed but I think such an integration would fit best as an optional addon since it would add dependencies to .NET 3.0, additional tables and the workflow engine. I don't know how to encourage anyone to build it.