Good example of localized site?

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 15, 2008 at 1:49 PM
I am finding the globalization process in N2 very difficult and somewhat convoluted. Is there a good example I can base my code on?

The Templates example does not provide SEO friendly URLs (it seems to require structural changes or query string parameters), which is a requirement for my site. Additionally, it does not allow translation of a lot of the content (for example there is no way to select the /features/sitemap page and translate it).

Is there am example available which uses SEO friendly URLs (no changes to the site structure and no query string parameters) and allows any type of content to be translated? Is this even possible in N2?

Thank you,

-James
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM
Hi again. The globalization doesn't require any particular query string parameters. It quite stupidly follows the site structure of the site as if it wasn't translated.

On the demo site there is one page that is outside of the start page. Since that page doesn't have a matching domain name it will appear without friendly url. This is because the urls start from the start page but can't go up from there and then down.

A limitation of the globalization in N2 is that each page up to the page that is to be translated must have translation. E.g. to be able to translate the "sitemap" page you would have to translate "features" first.

Hope this explains it. I'll try to write up some documentation on the topic.
Oct 15, 2008 at 7:45 PM
> to be able to translate the "sitemap" page you would have to translate "features" first.

Ooohhhhh!!!! I never would have guessed, thank you!

I do not understand the purpose of the "language root" concept, but I think I finally understand how it works. I will experiment with my site right now.

Thank you once again!

-James