How to build a startpage like Mozilla.org?

Topics: User Forum
Sep 24, 2008 at 8:27 PM
Hi,

I am new to N2 and try to build a startpage like the one of mozilla.org. Specially the news-sections on the bottom are of interest. On the startpage I like to have tree lists of "latest news" (each one with the news of a specific content). I know how to build a specialized news-page and inherit it for the newscategories. Can I then refer to these news-items as a list in the startpage without writing the headings / liks again? Can this be done using the news-component? If not, what would be the best way to do this with custom code? How then can I get a list of (news-)items? Do I have to fire my own DB-query (eg. using NHibernate)? Any tips how this scenario can be built best?

Thanks a lot for help!

Cheers,
Marc
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM
You're on it. The typical way of doing this is adding the news to a "news container". With the "templates" there is the "news list" that does sort of what you're looking for. I think you can either use that or look at it for inspiration.

Specifically look at the Container property on the content item definition.

This is how it's displayed in the template: ascx, codebehind

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:23 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll try it and let you know if I get stuck.
Sep 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM
Just played around with news containers, new-lists etc. and think I get it now. Its all reaaaally cool stuff!
Just one misstake: while trying to empty the trash I accidentally deleted it :-( Is there a way to get the trash feature back into the edit-backend?
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2008 at 7:09 PM
Sure, just delete something
Sep 26, 2008 at 7:28 AM
thx, didn't try that yet ;)

libardo wrote:

Sure, just delete something