Reusable Contentparts / -pages

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 19, 2008 at 11:46 AM
Hi,

Just found this really cool .Net CMS right before start wrinting my own ;-)  Had a look to otherls DNN and some others but none of them made me as happy as this one which integrates into ASP.Net 2.0 very nicelly. Congrats! Will definitivly give it a try (or two ;-) ).

So far I read the Getting startet guide and played with the system for a few hours. Looks like N2 features a nice API and nice separation. Just thought about how I should build parts and pages (items) the way they will be reusable for other projects and maybe to share them with the community when ready? I guess as a separate assembly. Do you have any hint / tips / best practices / do's and dont's?

Is there any central repository / community site / etc. to share items and parts?

Thanks for helping me getting on the right way ;-)

Marc

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2008 at 12:32 AM
Hi Marc, 

I'm looking forward towards seeing what you come up with. 

There is much to do in terms of helping people to join the fun. Those that are engaged have pretty much walked the hard way. Anyway, I'd very much like to improve the experience. What do you think about a public module gallery in combination with some basic guidelines?
Sep 20, 2008 at 10:10 AM
That's waht I know from other CMS like Typo3, Joomla, DNN and others. Think the real key to get the masses commited to a CMS is a) simple setup/installation (that's easy with N2) and b) availabillity of "extensions". For N2 extensions can be custom designs, editors, parts and item-types. Maybe some additional guidlines etc. would be helpfull. These things then should be available via a central repository / website (eg. the N2-website with a new section "Add-Ons" or "Extensions") groupend by topic. See also here... for an example.

Speaking of my experience some of the terms used on the N2 website like "Templates" where confusing to me. "Templates" normally have something to do with design/layout. Spezially the "Template-Websites" in the download-section where kind of confusing.

To get more and more 3rd party extension developers developing extsions (designs, parts, items, editors) a sample how to build such reusable things best. For example: should I start with a plain C# Class-Libary type of project to build a forum-addon to N2? This kind auf help for me as a "new" developer would be great.

Maybe I am getting active in the future for building such reusable peaces for N2 but first have to do my first steps into this direction before I can say more ;-)
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM
Spot on about templates. I'm pondering on a better name that catches the spirit of it. Maybe "extra".

I've prepared a sample for an add-on. Do you think it's at the right level for someone to start with?
Sep 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM
Sorry for the delay - I was offline one day ;-)

My first impression of the add-on sample is very good. I am impressed how fast you've done this!! (response-time!)  I try to get myself starting with N2 asap. ;-)

about templates: i think about them as well. "extra" maybe isn't to bad but to confirm this i first have to get the "spirit" of them a little better then i do now ;-)