This project is read-only.

About licence

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Aug 13, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Hi n2 cms developers,

we are a commerical company and planning to use n2 cms for our companys website. N2 cms is under LGPL licence, so what does that mean for us? I dont see any links to the n2 cms project on the front end of the cms nor in the html source code. Do we have to add a link like "powered by n2 cms" here? And do we have to provide a LGPL licence on our website, too? Are there any other things we should do according to the licence?

Thank you,
Michael.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:55 PM
Hi

although I am not the developer, I am a developer who uses N2 as well in commercial products.
The question was asked before, an answer from the developer can be found in that thread: http://www.codeplex.com/n2/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=25690

Martijn
Aug 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Hi Mrtijn,

thank you for reply. I just want to "release" our companys website, so I dont "extend" the main n2 library source. My question is: Do we have to add any "hint" at our companys website that it was builded with n2 cms? And additional: Do we have to refer to the LGPL licence of n2 at our companys website?

Michael.

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM
The comments from libardo (this is the main developer) in the other thread do answer that I suppose?

"I don't think you need to publicly release your changes (and it's certanly not the intention). "

and

"As far as I understand the license applies to distribution. I chose LGPL mostly for some kind of restrictions on forking. By the way. I do love that the software is beeing used, modified or not."

Martijn
Aug 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Hi Martijn,

unfortunality this does not answer my questions. I wanted to know if our website have to show the customers, that our website was builded with n2 cms and that n2 cms is under LGPL. You said that you builded commertial websites with n2 cms, too. Did you point out at these website that they was builded with n2 cms?

Michael

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:13 PM
...and maybe libardo could tell his point of view, too?
Aug 13, 2008 at 5:15 PM
Hi Michael,

You can build commercial and closed source web applications without having to publish any links or references on your web site.

/Cristian
Aug 13, 2008 at 6:17 PM
Thank you libardo for the fast reply.

Michael.