Implementing multiple languages for a site

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Hi all

I'm a little confused as to the best proactice for implementing a site in multiple languages - the Globalization example project now resides in a folder called "old", so I assume that the methodology it uses is now deprecated.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to get started in adding a new language option to the site I'm currently building.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM
The globalization looks in the content tree looking for nodes implementing ILanguage. Each of these is considered being the start page of a language. The interface helps synchronizing content on each of these language branches.

E.g. you can click on the globe in the toolbar to overview available translations. There is also a menu while editing a page to change language.

If you look at the templates you can see how it works. To enable the feature you need to configure <globalization enabled="true" />.
Jul 18, 2008 at 2:54 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Hi

Thanks for your help here - I think that it's going to work fine from here. For some reason my Vista installation refuses to install IIS so I'm unable to easily test the 2 separate languages, but I shall try this on my XP machine later on and report back if there's a problem.

I'm very impressed with this project so far by the way - I hope that I'll be able to contribute a little here and there once I've got properly orientated.

Graham
Jul 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM
I've tried the globalisation feature too; one thing, especially delightfull to me, was a consistency of navigation using <n2:Menu/> control.

---

On a somewhat related note:

I'm still scratching my head on how to enable multi-user scenarios (for the purpose of collaborative e-commerce application), and suddenly got realized that it could be done in a similar fashion as globalisation feature. Suppose, we have a sort of master site with a predefined set of items. Then, for each user we should enable an ad-hoc site, which would be automatically created when this user somehow put a star on a product item within a hierarchy of the master site. This action should trigger a creation of necessary parent structure, much like translation works now in N2. Then, somehow i think a workflow engine should fit this design to control a business logic.

I'd happy to know your opinion on reusing N2 globalisation pattern for the purpose of user-customizable sub-sites.
I feel it smells like social network. Unfortunatelly, i've found not too much architectural info in the web on this subject, so i'd happy to get an advice here too. (Indeed, there some OSS projects, having some resemblance to social portals, namely: ASPNETPortal and Windows Live Quick Apps, but they seem to be based on a far less universal principles, so for N2 something unique should be invented.)