View counter

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:47 AM
Hi,

Wouldn't it be a good feature to add a counter to the content details table? In that case, everytime a details is requested by a page (and thus by a user), you increase the counter automatically. Then, it's possible to improve the search engine to show the most viewed items at the top.

Also, the search engines sometimes shows a page multiple times. I will try to improve this and send you the source code back if you want. I will also add an option to show the results in multiple pages instead of one large page.
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2008 at 8:09 AM
I'm a bit worried about such a feature even though it's nice. It could lead to a database write for every page view. Maybe with batching or messanging to an out of process logger.
Jul 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM

libardo wrote:
I'm a bit worried about such a feature even though it's nice. It could lead to a database write for every page view. Maybe with batching or messanging to an out of process logger.

Maybe it's possible with an automatic database trigger? In that case, the counter is automatically increased by the database. I didn't thought about the write actions until now, but it is a good point.
Jul 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Where can I send the sourcecode for the new search engine?
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM
To here: cristian-dot~libardo[at[gmail.dot,com (hope you can make it out, I'm trying to avoid the spammers)
Jul 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM
You have e-mail. Let me know if you don't have any mail (because then the zip files are probably handled as spam).