Multiple languages and SEO

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:40 AM
Hi,

for search engines to index a website in a specific language the best option is to add a language specific path to the url...
What would be the best option to do that with N2 (for the old LanguageSwitcher dll and the new Globalisation features)?

Martijn
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2008 at 6:35 PM
I tried to make the globalization independant of the path and I've seen these alternatives so far:

- (root)
  - site.com (english)
  - site.se (swedish)
  - de.site.com (german)

- (root)
  - site.com (en)
    - /sv
    - /nl

I don't know what each means for SEO. I can imagine a country domain name would yield better ranking for people in that country.
Jun 12, 2008 at 8:08 AM
If I put a language specific site in a node of the root, there is not much use for the globalisation options...then all pages below the node are in a specific language...
What I would like to do is set the language based on the url...
I want to use the globalisation feature, but I want to select a language based on the path.
Something link:

Address                  Language
site.com                  default
site.com/en             English
site.com/nl/              Dutch

site.com/nl/page.aspx  would go to the dutch page which in fact is located at site.com/page.aspx
My tree would be
- (root)
    - page1
    - page2

The globalisation is not depended of the tree.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2008 at 6:19 PM
Do I understand you correctly that there should be only one tree structure visible to editors (essentially hiding the technicalities)? External users can already experience it the way you describe.
Jun 14, 2008 at 10:31 AM
Not completely what I had in mind...

Basically I think there should only have to be a url-rewriter which would map a rule with site.com/de/page.aspx to the page with the German language.
The page.aspx file can be translated and by using the url-rewriter the correct file will show up...

I do believe there is an option to rewrite, but had not have time to figure this out yet...
Jun 17, 2008 at 12:23 PM
I'm planning to convert one website from the languageswitcher dll to the new globalisation features next week, what would be the best path to follow to implement a /xx/ - langcode in the URL in the new features?
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Can you do something like this?
  • Start page (multilingual)
  • English start page (name = "en")
    • More pages in english (url = /en/more-pages-in-english.aspx)
  • Dutch start page (name = "nl")
    • More pages in dutch (url = /nl/more-pages-in-dutch.aspx)
The globalization works by assigning all translations of an item a shared key so it's a good idea to assign this key while importing the data.
Jun 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM
That can be done, but it is less user friendly than having one page on which you can select another language and just translate (like it is possible now).
If the path only determines the language to show the result is the same, but only with the user friendly translation options.

So, I'd like to have
- Startpage
  - page1.aspx
  - page2.aspx

and translate the page with the globalisation options.
The user will use
- /nl/page1.aspx to view the dutch language
- /en/page1.aspx to view the english language.

Search engines highly prefer this url routing so every language has it's own page (in effect).
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM
I'm afraid we're talking past each other. I think you mean that single structure should serve both languages as it is in the old globalization example.

Did you notice the language menu while editing (with the flags)? To translate you just click on the appropriate flag. It's agreed there is more room for discrepancies (and confusion) in the page structures but it might also be useful.

As for search engines the url's will be exacly the same. I don't get the difference.
Jun 18, 2008 at 8:03 AM
We are somehow.

Yes, I want the technical structures to be the same and serve all languages.
But I want the visible structure (i.e. the URL's and hyperlinks) to incorporate the languagecode in it.
The main reason is that way search engines can index /nl/page.aspx and also index /se/page.aspx since they are 2 different pages (instead of one page with text depending on a choice made by a mouseclick which the searchengine cannot perform).
From all pages (or at least the root page) there should be links to the same page (with flags or something like that) but in a different language. A searchengine can follow such a link to discover the different language.

so, my question perhaps should have been if it is possible to have the selected language-code automatically be put in all url's and the url's in the hyperlinks on all pages.
I am aware that this effect will automatically appear if I use /nl/ as a page with all the dutch pages beneath them (and the same for other languages), but then I do not have any use for the globalisation menu, since the pages should have a fixed language?
In my opinion it would be nice to have the globalisation feature (select the language from a dropdown and have the exact same page and structure) and the url-part :-)

Did I make myself just a bit more clear this time?
Sorry for the confusion...
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM
Alright I get it, at least partly ;)

You prefer the old globalization where the same node stored content for different languages but would like the language beeing in the path (/[languagecode]/...) rather than the query.

I see your point but there are some drawbacks. Most of all it increases the complexity from the framework's point of view. At the moment I'm not keen on supporting that.

However I have few ideas on how to make the current model feel more like it while managing content. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for persisting on this. I really appreciate your input. =)

Regarding SEO and stuff. How is this different from the current flags?
Jun 19, 2008 at 7:26 AM

libardo wrote:
Regarding SEO and stuff. How is this different from the current flags?

I do believe I should first test it better and then have a big mouth...
I'm going to implement it on a site and then admit I should not have said anything ;-)

One question, where to declare which languages can be used?
(okay, one more, are there more settings I have not found yet for the new globalisation?)

Thanks and sorry!

Martijn