This project is read-only.

Comments on globalization

May 2, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Anyone up to try the new globalization feature and help out with comments/suggestions? It's here.
May 2, 2008 at 8:29 PM
Hi,

looks promising!
Some remarks:
- The choice is a country...not a language. Although this is a worldwide discussion (which is the best), you mix the both (in terms). I would prefer choosing a language (since that is what is changed), but I would like to be able to link the selection to something arbitrary.
If I want to make a selection Dutch-Netherlands and Dutch-English (to serve the country with specific information in 2 languages) is that possible now?

- Is it so that a new language can only be added by adding an extra homepage?
It seems that after that switching the language is done in the top right selection for each page. And that, when viewing, the site-language is not changed but the site structure is changed and links are only created to the chosen language-page (if available).
Although I like the last option, I would prefer if the language I chose would remain persistent. Now, going to the homepage results in a language change (back to the main one).
There is not really a Dutch site or Norwegian site, but there are Dutch pages and Norwegian pages, possibly translated from the English ones...

- The structure looks a bit strange...it does follow the tree, but only for the selected language...
There is a homepage per language but the items are not beneath that page...
Would a tree per language be a more logical construction? Graying out the items not translated and clicking one of them is the same as creating it in the selected language?

- The Globalisation button us great but I'm missing some sort of overview since it is a one-level option. It's always nice to see (in one view) which pages are and are not translated.
I mis the same overview in the table-view of the structure as is is and was...expanding results in a new selection, not an expanded selection...

- I cannot delete the homepage of a new language, but I can drag it to the trash..after that it is stuck ;-)

- Is there (going to be) a conversion from the LanguageSelector dll - option ? (would be great :-) )

so far for now...
I'd like to try it out (with a conversion if possible) on one of the sites in my control if the code is ready for it.

Thanks!
May 2, 2008 at 8:41 PM
- Is it possible (in edit mode) to always display the language editting so there can be no mistakes?

- Is the culture changed on changing the language (for functions, date display's etc) ?
May 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM
Hi,

Thank you for some great feedback. I've updated a few things and polished the workflow a bit.

- choice of country: I changed to storing the culture, e.g. en-GB. How do you usually display this to external users? Do you avoid flags and spell out the language?
- the structure: good find, I'll improve this eventually
- overview: great idea, need to add this sometime
- delete language homepage: fixed
- version: do you want to contribute a patch? :-))
- display language when editing: fixed
- change culture: fixed
May 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Hi,

- Choice; the answer you where not waiting for...it depends...
Some customers want a selection of country, some of language.
It would be best if you pick a default (country is the best for a (visual) demo I'd say) and give the developer the option to make his/hers own list and link the choice to a language change call.
That way it is all covered?

- Conversion; sure, I'd like to contribute (as soon as I have the version and found out what the differences are in the database).
May 6, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Edited May 6, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Hi,

It's allowed to change site theme for some localized homepage, but it's ignored. Also there are two bugs (IE7) in edit mode:

1. Tree item names disapeared when slider moved to left:
http://www.maqdev.com/image.axd?picture=bug-n2.gif

2. http://www.maqdev.com/image.axd?picture=bug-n2-2.gif
May 6, 2008 at 5:49 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.