License question

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:15 PM
Hi!

I have a question regarding license of N2 - LGPL.
If i have made some changes in source code that usefull for me - the license requires to share that changes, for example submitting some patches here.

But they may not be accepted by author for some reasons (doesn't matter why).
Am I allowed to use modified system for some commercial needs in that case? How to distribute my changes as requested in the license?
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM
I don't think you need to publicly release your changes (and it's certanly not the intention). I havn't read the license too carefully but suppose you'd need to distribute the code changes and the license information along with the program somehow.

/Cristian
Apr 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM
But I don't have plans to distribute the program itself, only provide a service using it.

Thank you.
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM
As far as I understand the license applies to distribution. I chose LGPL mostly for some kind of restrictions on forking. By the way. I do love that the software is beeing used, modified or not.

Do you think your changes would call for a new extension point?
Apr 11, 2008 at 6:48 AM
I don't sure. I'm planing to modify system to allow multiple instances of CMS in one DB. For example CMS admins can specify editiors for each instance, and editor can see only one instance); Other modifcations i guess can be made as templates, i'm learning code now to decide how to modify it.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 8:13 AM
I'm not sure it applies to your case but there's a related post out there.
Apr 11, 2008 at 9:12 AM
Thank you, it's near to what i need, but not exactly - in my case CMS instance can be created dynamically by user, without editing configuration.