Take ideas from PlainBlack WebGUI at www.webgui.org

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 12, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Hi,

I was looking for a CMS with a good architecture based on a modern framework like .net or java.
Yours looks very nice, is using nhibernate. But it is yet young and needs many features to be contributed.

I have reviewed a lot of CMSs(phpnuke, postnuke, dotnetnuke, mambo, typo3, many others) and found that www.webgui.org is most suitable for me with its concept, feature set, Admin GUI organization. It has implemented many good ideas like:
1) Drag&Drop GUI is similar to IDE tools.
2) Friendly URLs are created even for each forum post and other submissions
3) Two ways of site view for admin: WYSIWYG and asset navigator.
But unfortunately it is done using PERL. I am a fan of .net (and mono) framework, languages like C# , VB.NET . So PERL hardly suits for me to make any considirable additions to WebGUI.
It would be very nice if you take some good GUI organization ideas from PlainBlack WebGUI CMS.

Thanks, Alex,
www.aulix.com
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 7:09 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I looked for the drag&drop you mention on the webgui demo site but didn't find it. Could you give me a clue?
Sep 12, 2007 at 8:32 PM
WebGUI has container elements like "Page Layout", Folder and Dashboard.
Also it has wobjects - elements like articles, files, images, forums, etc. those are placed inside container elements.
Note: Admin mode should be turned on, generally on the top there is "Turn Admin On"
Wobject toolbar is dispalyed on the left side of the screen like in Visual Studio.
It is possible to add a new wobject to current container (for example page) by clicking on wobject in toolbox.

1) It is then possible to change the placement of wobjects on container using drag & drop.
When using a page with "Page Layout Template" set to multicolumn it is possible to move wobjects between columns.

2) In admin asset tree it is also possible to change the order of wobjects using drag & drop.

May be other use cases exist which I am not aware of.
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Ahh, nice.. those wobjects are cool. Thanks for the tip =) I'll make sure to snatch some of those ideas.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2007 at 10:04 PM
I implemented something similar to those wobjects. http://templates.n2cms.com/ When you log in the "oganize parts" options is in the right column.

I would appreciate feedback on this. Thanks

/Cristian
Oct 17, 2007 at 11:55 PM
The http://templates.n2cms.com site seems to be broken ..

Dave