This project is read-only.

Giving the MVC example a go - no go

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:09 AM
Ok. Here's what I have done.

Before easter vacation I did a svn checkout on the project (doesn't seem like there's been much activity during the last week).

First I modified the batch file adding "Any CPU" fix, so the darn deploy thingy works (please fix this in repo).
Then I copied out the Mvc example to another folder.
I then created a SQL Server database and modified the web.config to point to this location. I also fixed the "flavour".

The thing I notice now is that the reference to Microsoft.Web.Mvc and N2.Extensions are missing. They are not in the bin-folder.
This can't be corrent, can it?
Apr 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM
To continue my "story of experience";

I copied System.Web.Abstraction, System.Web.Mvc and System.Web.Routing do the bin folder. I also modified the "copy local" property in the references to "True".

Build and deploy throws an error stating that /Edit/Install/Begin/Default.aspx is missing. I forgot what I read here http://n2cms.com/wiki/Site-deployment.aspx a month ago, when I started looking for some other doable CMS's.

I will push out Edit folders as well and see where I land from there.
Apr 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM
After uploading the entire Edit folder, things seem to be working again.
Unfortunately I had to modify the route since my host doesn't seem to support asp.mvc fully. Currently my route is "{controller}.aspx/{action}/{id}"

Does anyone know how to let the page-path default to pagetitle + ".aspx" ?
Apr 15, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Will N2 ever move more towards MVC? I haven't even looked at the MVC example since I'm struggling enough with the standard issue use of N2; but it seems that more and more people are moving to MVC which is good.

Thanks
Pete
Apr 16, 2009 at 9:29 PM
@skaue: This is what I did:
  • Got latest from trunk
  • Go to examples folder
  • Double clicked on Prepare_Dependencies-vs2008.bat
  • Go to Mvc folder
  • Opened Mvc_Example.sln
  • Built and ran (Ctrl+F5)
  • Arrived to the database installation page
  • Tab 3: Created tables
  • Tab 4: Inserted root and start nodes
  • Went to /edit and created some pages
  • Observed the pages beeing created
Obviosly this is a some kind of "works on my machine" issue. I do have ASP.NET MVC installed which might be the issue. Could you dig a bit deeper and help out with a patch? I did a change related to "Any CPU" recently which seemed to improve things.

@peteski22: Possibly. Do you have any specific ideas in this respect?