Yet another Forum addon?? anybody please help

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM
Hi there, i really like n2 CMS but wow what a pain to understand how addons work with all those folders, config, thing to change, error while running for unknown reason!!!

Would it not be possible to recommend a standart procedure for addons with a n2 cms website???

Like a separate class library from a project file + specific folder for parts of the addons, and recommandation for configurations details of the addons.

I just tried the forum addon, after following the very very fuzy instructions, I have the

N2.Persistence.NH.NotifyingInterceptor, N2 could not be located

error.

Dunno why, and i'm sure i gonna have like 10 runtime error to fix before i get the forum

this is kinda a pain.

You should layout specific rules that addon develloper need to follow so that develloper can install addons without loosing a day per addon.
Feb 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM
also couldn't make the advanced pager work or the templateworks addon.

only a dll to import?? no instruction no nothing
Feb 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM
Also because the n2cms use IOC containers + a lot of details in the config files, it can be a pain to debug when it's a config problem.

can somebody that have the forum setup send me all files related to the setup. (yafnet.config, web.config + other details that he needed to change to make it work)

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:38 PM
So the problem is that the forum addons come with an old version of n2.dll and i made the error of copying it in the bin folder cause the error.

so after playing a lot with all the configuration steps for the forum, i'm now again stuck at another error.
this happens in the administrator panel when publishing a forum.

what could be the problem??? I'm using SQLite. When publishing a forum is the table in the database are created???

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\32206c0d\9eabd4e4\App_Web_qfgpdwjo.0.cs    Line: 0

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   N2.Templates.Forum.UI.Views.Forum.Page_Error(Object sender, EventArgs e) +433
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
   System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.OnError(EventArgs e) +8689450
   System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) +84
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +6776
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +242
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +80
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +21
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
   ASP.forum_ui_views_forum_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\32206c0d\9eabd4e4\App_Web_qfgpdwjo.0.cs:0
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +181
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM
This looks like a problem I had earlier today.

When you follow the installation procedure for the Forum Add-on, it doesn't work - well at least it didn't for me.

What I had to do was download the YAF package separately, then extract the SQL scripts from the INSTALL folder and place them in the FORUM\YAF\INSTALL directory under the N2CMS root.

The scripts were missing from the YAF add-on.

All you have to do then is  edit the forum in the N2 tree and the tables will be created - make sure that the YAFNET.CONFIG file takes the DSN OK - I had to do it manually !!!!

GOOD LUCK !!!!
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:53 PM
Oh, btw - it still doesn't work. I get an exception thrown.... "Value cannot be null . Param Name : type "

ho hum.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:44 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I'm also having serious problem getteing the forum to work. I copied the sqlscripts from the YAF-release as stated above but when I get to step 2 of 5 : Connect the database I only get a popup window saying:

---------------------------
Message from webpage
Connection failed. Modify Web.config and try again.
The error message was:
Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.

Tweaking around I also recieve this message

Message from webpage
Connection failed. Modify Web.config and try again.
The error message was:
The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.

How should the connectionstring look like in both the root web.config and the yafnet.config?

The overall experience of this addon is that the instructions lack a whole lot of information.