N2 Management redesign

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Looking at https://github.com/n2cms/n2cms/commits/redesign I can see redesign is progressing nicely. Cristian, are there any ETA for new redesigned Management?

Also, will redesign eliminate site tree refresh via Sliding Curtain? I consider this a huge annoyance at the moment, and my view is that Management should not be affected by content of the public pages.

I can also see that Management is restructured so that several APIs are introduced, and Management is using them. Does this mean it will be possible to utilize these APIs outside of Management itself? For example, to create small app that could be used to populate content or to show site tree?
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
+1 for new site tree refresh behavior – https://n2cms.codeplex.com/discussions/405950
Jun 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Nice job on the redesign! When will it be merged into master?
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Hopefully not too soon... my users can barely handle the current admin UI, and I think any changes at this point would upset them.
Jun 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Following that logic, it will always be unpleasant moment for any of us to switch over to new management UI. Stepping a few steps back and looking at broader picture, it is clear that upgrade must be made at one point. I would say this point in time is rather good since we have no major bugs in core itself, which in turn means we could all continue to use current version with old Management UI for some time.
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

That is true, I suppose… That said, I think it might be a good idea to try to make sure as many bugs as possible are ironed out before merging redesign into master.

-Ben

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Yes, we should get to a roadmap for a stable release, let's say the final 2.x and then move on to 3.x with new UI and removed legacy (delete everything declared obsolete). I'm working on some bugfixes for versioning and workflow which is not implemented consistently in the current version.

I would also prefer moving the management code out of the MVCTemplates project and splitting it into UI and Business Logic for better maintenance and customization. Maybe this would also be an opportunity to give users a choice of different UIs.

I think that a refreshed version will help n2 gain more attention and popularity vs other open source .net CMS solutions. Especially if we join forces to update the project home page, too. It looks quite dated and may scare users away,
  • Stefan
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I think it would be a really great idea if there was more separation between N2 management views & logic... moving it to MVC would be a great idea IMO.
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Apparently Christian Libardo merged everything into master already, providing for a switch between legacy and new UI?
I could get the MVC Templates demo to run after fixing web.config (Localization Handler), but the UI in Dinamico seems broken - when I got to /N2 i just get some weird old icons.
Jun 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Edited Jun 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM
The Demo site is already redesigned:

http://demo.n2cms.com/

I like it, looks very good.

Perhaps we can add "manage security" to the context menu in the treeview.
Jun 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Hmm... looks pretty neat!
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Hi! Sorry for the long absence.

I'm very interested in feedback regarding the new management UI. Bugs, missing/less usable/unclear/unusable functionality, upgrade issues, anything...

You can reply on this thread or post on github

It's currently available on nuget as 2.5.1-beta (filter by prerelease) or online at demo.n2cms.com

Thanks!

/Cristian
Jul 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Maybe you could kindly summarize the main things that you've done and how that changes the design of the management tool?
Where do you plan to take it from here?
Jul 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Does http://demo.n2cms.com/ include the latest redesign changes?

One thing i miss, the new WYSIWG Editor hasn't a font color option.

/Andy