Getting started

Topics: User Forum
Dec 23, 2008 at 10:22 AM
Hi,
first I must admit I like the idea. This is most promissing .NET CMS system that I tried (and I tried them a lot).
What's my problem?
Is there any tutorial or more detailed documentation about this cms.
I want to read more about Root and start page. Why my cms failed when I choose one root and start page?
I see a lot of page types in database, but I don't know what they are doing and what they are for?

I found difficult to create more advanced solutions (beyond one page - one WYSISYG editor pages): templates, content types... There are very little resources about this.
I had problems with starting templates example too, so generaly I need more detailed  documentation and/or tutorial.
Dec 23, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM
Why my cms failed when I choose one root and start page?
Most likely you need to toggle multipleSites="true" attribute in <host/> element of your web.config
page types [..], but I don't know what they are doing and what they are for?
Most of item types you get after clean install are from N2.Templates project. N2.Templates sit on top of a core N2 and provides some ad-hoc functionality, such as TextPage, ImageGallery, FAQ list, and so on. It usually make sense to us N2.Templates as a base for your own applications, because it contains some functioinality (such as, applying Theme via Edit interface), proven to be usefull. You can skip N2.Templates altogether and start coding your own entity classes ("content items") and assigning "templates" for them in a form of a usual .aspx/.ascx as if it was a normal ASP.Net application. (This is usefull if you have a skeleton for your web application with .aspx/.ascx/.master and now you want to to upgrade it to use N2 as a storage engine). If you walk this path, then any item type you see in the db will be yours, on the other hand you'll be solely responsible for presentation of the pages.

I'm afraid, there's not much more introductory info available on the subject (but, you have a chance to make it happen ;-), so it's better to ask questions here.