Delay in changes?

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:19 AM
$0When changing content in the edit, the changes are not (always) directly reflected on the site, could thisd be setting I mistakenly set?$0
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM
None I know of, could it be the browser cache?
Sep 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM
Not really, my customer noticed it, but it was not updated on my end either.$0It did happen a couple of times and the restart button in the install-option solved it...$0$0$0$0$0Any thoughts on where to search (I haven't anymore)?$0$0$0$0$0Thanks!!$0
Sep 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Happening here, too. Just put up a new site. I can hit ctrl F5 and the site randomly displays the current and last revision of the page.

PC

From: MartijnRasenberg [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 10:50 AM
To: pcbender@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Delay in changes? [n2:34992]

Not really, my customer noticed it, but it was not updated on my end either.$0It did happen a couple of times and the restart button in the install-option solved it...$0$0$0$0$0Any thoughts on where to search (I haven't anymore)?$0$0$0$0$0Thanks!!$0

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (n2@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email n2@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:47 PM
Some background, perhaps you'll see something.$0$0$0$0I have a 1.4.2 setup, no templates in use.$0$0The database is on a dedicated MS SQL server.$0$0The  web.config contains:$0$0$0 <n2>$0$0 <host rootID="1" startPageID="1" multipleSites="false">$0$0 <web extension=".aspx" />$0$0 </host>$0$0 <engine>$0$0 <globalization enabled="false"/>$0$0 <errors action="Email" mailTo="" mailFrom="[my address]" />$0$0 <scheduler keepAlive="true" interval="10" />$0$0 </engine>$0$0 <database connectionStringName="N2CMS" flavour="SqlServer2005"/>$0$0 <edit>$0$0 <installer checkInstallationStatus="true"/>$0$0 <uploadFolders>$0$0 <add path="Upload"/>$0$0 </uploadFolders>$0$0 </edit>$0$0 </n2>$0$0$0$0$0I use ASP.NET AJAX, in the site and in the edit part of N2 (custom implementation)...$0$0The site is a shop and the shop is partly based on custom tables (cart/customers/etc)$0$0$0$0$0The shop is split on two installations/servers but using one database (seperate domains the easy way...).$0$0748 records in n2item, 7135 in n2detail...$0$0
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Hmm, interesting problem.

There is a relatively new option to enable output cacheing. It's disabled by default but it's located at <n2><host><outputCache enabled="?">. I don't think it's this but it's worth a try.

Does it happen regardless of browser? What IIS version? Can it be reproduced locally? Is the user always logged in? Can it happen on the start page? Does fiddler reveal any cache-control headers?

Is the behaviour reproduceable? Can you send some more details so I can investigate?
Sep 5, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Sure…

The site is located at:  http://www.pixtology.com/realtors/mary-agent.aspx ( Yes, this is a test site…)

In IE, using the edit function, I change a value in the dependent (Child) page. In this case it is the photo album ID. I save and publish the changes and they are reflected in the iframe. In other words, it works. Then I switch over to FireFox (3.0) and hit ctrl F5. The changes are not in FireFox. Hit F5 again and they ARE there. Hit F5 again and sometimes yes, sometimes no. (you can tell because the second home image changes to “view listing.”

I am using a pull from svn as of maybe 5 days ago.

Here’s the relevant section from my web.config

<n2 xmlns="http://n2cms.com/schemas/configuration/v3">

<!-- If you install a database from scrach you'll need to insert some required pages.

This can be done by the web based installer located at http://yoursite/install/edit -->

<host rootID="1" startPageID="2" multipleSites="true">

<web extension=".aspx"/>

<outputCache enabled="false" duration="10"/>

</host>

<engine>

<assemblies>

<!-- These are only really needed for medium trust

-->

-->

</assemblies>

<!-- Update email to receive error reports -->

<errors action="Email" mailTo="" mailFrom="noreply@yourdomain.com"/>

<!-- Globalization requires you to create additional start pages with a language -->

<globalization enabled="true"/>

<!-- Will ping the site to prevent it from sleeping -->

<scheduler keepAlive="true" interval="10"/>

</engine>

<!-- Other flavours: SqlServer2005, SqlServer2000, MySql, SqLite, SqlCe, Firebird -->

<database connectionStringName="N2CMS" flavour="SqlServer2005"/>

<edit>

<!-- Set checkInstallationStatus to false to disable redirect to install page -->

<installer checkInstallationStatus="true"/>

<!-- Folders available for content folder -->

<uploadFolders>

<add path="Upload"/>

</uploadFolders>

</edit>

<templates masterPageFile="~/Layouts/Top+SubMenu.Master">

</templates>

</n2>

Thanks,

PC

Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 3:56 PM

Hmm, interesting problem.

There is a relatively new option to enable output cacheing. It's disabled by default but it's located at . I don't think it's this but it's worth a try.

Does it happen regardless of browser? What IIS version? Can it be reproduced locally? Is the user always logged in? Can it happen on the start page? Does fiddler reveal any cache-control headers?

Is the behaviour reproduceable? Can you send some more details so I can investigate?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (n2@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:38 AM
I am having trouble reproducing it...$0I do however have this error sometimes when saving and did not have it before.$0$0Row was updated or deleted by another transaction (or unsaved-value mapping was incorrect): [PageItemTop#1]$0$0$0$0$0$0My customer (who had the problem a lot of times in a row) is using IE, I'm using FF. They initiated the problem the most times, but I did experience the problem on FF.$0$0The server is using IIS6.$0$0$0$0$0The problem occurred a couple of times when editing text and two times when adding a page.$0$0In the last case, the page was added to the root, it appeared in the menu (repeater) but when clicking on it there was a 404 error...the page was in the database, n2item and n2detail.$0$0I had no clue at that time what went wrong...$0
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2008 at 10:53 AM
I've been having some troubles seeing myself this so I'll have to rely on you for now. The best would be finding a reliable way to reproduce the problem locally. A few candidate troublemakers:
  • The browser cache: I think this has been ruled out by now
  • Output cache: Possibly, but I can't see how this could come into play. Just to ensure override AllowOutputCache in your templates and have it return false.
  • 2:nd level cache not keeping up: Might be. Can you try:
    • Disabling it: <database caching="false"
    • Regressing against a previous nhibernate library, pick one from an earlier release and recompile against the current code

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don’t know if this was the cause of the behavior, but disabling the db cache in the web.config seems to have fixed the problem.

PC

Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 3:53 AM

I've been having some troubles seeing myself this so I'll have to rely on you for now. The best would be finding a reliable way to reproduce the problem locally. A few candidate troublemakers:

• The browser cache: I think this has been ruled out by now
  • Output cache: Possibly, but I can't see how this could come into play. Just to ensure override AllowOutputCache in your templates and have it return false.
  • 2:nd level cache not keeping up: Might be. Can you try:
    • Disabling it:
    • Regressing against a previous nhibernate library, pick one from an earlier release and recompile against the current code