Deployment of entire site

Topics: User Forum
Apr 4, 2008 at 9:15 AM
Hi!
I'm trying to deploy my N2 site. The solution comprise of my webproject as well as many other, such as the N2.Edit and the N2.edit.install webprojects. How do I go about to deploy the whole site?

Or is there a smarter way to structure the solution from the start?

Thanks,
Gustav
Apr 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM
Sorry for being a newbie, maybe I'm missing out some obvious parts or have failed to find some documentation or guide but is there a step by step guide, or at least something that describes a little more throurugh how to set up a site. How do I structure the vs solution? If I just open the n2-vs2008.sln file, make my changes and stuff and try to deploy I'm missing out the edit and install interfaces. The prepare.bat files doesn't seem to asseble my own files and folders. I would like to use the templates and add some own features.

I realize my question is a bit unclear, but do anyone get what I'm after?
Would appreciate any help
/Gus
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2008 at 11:17 PM
Hi,

I appreciate you take the time to ask. If it's not immediatly obvious there's probably something wrong or at least unclear.

In your situation I'd go for the Templates Examples. There you'll find an empty project along with the templates and the edit interface.

Since you already have the sources download you could install some snippets from the "snippets" folder. The zip files goes into ...VS2008\Templates\ItemTemplates and the snippets into ...VS2008\Code Snippets\Visual C#. The item templates will add an item definition and a template.

Since I am to include some improved information on this. Where would you first go looking?
Apr 9, 2008 at 12:01 PM
hiya!
Thank you. Since i'm not at home right now I can't test it but it seems ok.
I think a guide like this (just a quick example, of what I interpreted from your last post) could attract new users, or ease a lot for beginners like myself:
1. donwnload the code (obviously)
2. run the deploy_templates.bat file
3. copy the contents (core + templates folders) from the resulting deploy folder into the lib folder in the extracted templatesimplementation (is this correct by the way???)
4. open vs and the MyProject-vs2008.sln solution file
5. happy programming
6. to deploy choose publish website and ...

something like that. And btw if anything above is wrong pls tell cus that's the way i'm inted to try doing it tonight (especially where to copy the deploy folders...)

My first place to look would be on the n2cms.com site under documentation -> getting started. The guides that are already there are very good but in my opinion (and level of competence) they need to be complementet.

/Gustav

P.S. If I can help out in any other way with my newbie perspective I'm happy to! :)
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2008 at 10:46 PM
Hi again, I did some work on the startup guide.